Monday, April 13, 2009

Chalk and Wire

Luther's Chalk and Wire program appears to be a simple way to organize and update a portfolio. Having it online makes it easy to upload documents and then submit them to professors for assessment. I think that it would take a lot more effort to keep a paper copy, update it when necessary, and then submit it for a grade. I doubt that professors would want to spend a ton of time wading through paper portfolios that may or may not be done well.

Portfolios are becoming a popular way of assessment. In high school I had to do it for my AP language arts class and it showed me the advantages and disadvantages of keeping one. It was neat to see how my work had changed over the course of the year and how I was able to incorporate feedback from the teacher into my work. The disadvantage was that it took a lot of time to write out comments on my work and keep it well organized in a binder.

I think that portfolios can be practically used as assessment tools for older students, such as high schoolers, but even for them it is important that guidelines are given so that they don't feel overwhelmed. When I first heard "portfolio" I was thinking, "What does that even mean?!" Helping students work through their first portfolio can be a confidence booster and it also provides concrete examples of how their work has improved over time.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I think it's really helpful that the education department is allowing us to do an introductory portfolio. This way we get a good practice before we start working on our "official portfolio."

    ReplyDelete