Sunday, March 8, 2009

Never Stop Learning

This past Thursday the biology dept. brought in a speaker who works in a research lab in Texas trying to figure out how to slow down blood growth to cancer cells. People talk about finding the cure for cancer often, but this was really neat to actually see someone with evidence that he was actually trying to find a way to slow down cancer.

A number of Luther students attended the presentation, but along with them there were probably 10 Luther professors (if not more) who came, took notes, and had questions afterward. This made me think how teachers don't just stop learning once they graduate college. Teachers have the responsibility to keep learning about new teaching styles, technology, and new findings in their specific content area.

It was kind of fun seeing the profs put into the role of the students. I wonder if any of the professors felt like they were in over their heads, or if they understood everything the presenter was talking about. I know that I sure didn't understand all of the jargon, but then again, I probably wasn't developmentally ready since I've only taken a few biology classes here at Luther. I think it helps professors reach their students more effectively to step into the role of student once in a while. Especially in a topic in which they are not experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment